Being a parent isn't easy, especially when you're a single dad trying to style your daughter's hair. Should it be up or down? Bow or no bow? How do I get these knots out?! And how do I make a braid?!
Philippe Morgese, a single dad from Daytona, FL, mastered doing his daughter Emma's hair. He told Buzzfeed,Â âI love the time spent with her and she loves the cool hair, so it's a win-win,â he said.
He decided to share his knowledge with other dads by having a âDads and Daughtersâ hair class. (Aww.) Apparently, dads would notice Emma's hair and ask him for tips. âI thought it would be easier to show them in person,â he said.
He asked a local beauty school, International Academy, if he could teach the class there and started posting about it on Facebook. And he didn't charge for the class. âI didn't want any cost to anybodyâI didn't want to stop anyone from learning,â he said to Buzzfeed.
Seven dads and daughters attended the class. In it, the dads learned brushing tips, we well as how to do some styling (like buns).
âI created a Dads and Daughters hair class to help other fathers learn about doing hair. We had a small class full of dads that learned basic brushing, ponytails, braids and buns. The turnout was great! I'm so proud of these dads for stepping upâ¦â âPhilippe Morgese on Imgur
As far as the âDads and Daughtersâ class, Reddit forum commentators shared theirÂ stories about being dads and trying to master things such as braiding their daughters' hair. Here's a few funny quotes:
- "One day I took my daughter to school. My wife had an early meeting so I did my daughter's hair.Â The teacher looks at her and says, "daddy did your hair, didn't he? It's ok we can fix it."Â âredditbobby
- âThis is me these days. Single Dad, though I better learn. Recently just learnt fish tail, have the double bows and braids down. Daughters hair isnt thick enough at the moment for french but I cant wait! I actually get a massive kick out of it and my ex doesnt really ever bother.â âyouknowthename
- âWow! You're doing better than most females without kids, so props to you!â âtearsofacow
- âYou just opened a can of worms. I bet you get lots of PMs. (as a mother, nothing is hotter than a good dad. I even asked my sister and she agrees.) âlouiselebeau
- âMy uncle learned to French braid his wife's hair while they dated. When they had two daughters he also braided their hair.Â He died when the oldest had just turned 7 and the youngest was 4.Â Number one thing they would request from their cousins "can you braid my hair like daddy did?" And we would. We would braid, take out the braid, braid again as long as they wanted.â âthatsboxy
Aww. And on that note, we can see the value in dads doing their daughters' hair. Morgese plans on holding more âDads and Daughtersâ hair classes. He wants to keep them small enough so people will get individualized help and attention. I know that if I were a dad, I'd sign up. âI feel like the kudos have made me a better dad,â Morgese said to Buzzfeed. âWhen you hear âyou are such an awesome dad,' you start to believe it and let go of the mistakes you make as a parent.â
He also set up a Facebook page: Daddy Daughter Hair Factory, so you can keep up on future classes and styling tips.
Here are some funny photos of dads NOT in Morgese's class on what NOT to do.