Pets

Her Goldfish Choked On A Pebble, And This Owner Spent $500 On Surgery To Save Its Life

The things we do for our pets, though.

This story may sound somewhat… fishy, but we promise it’s the real deal.

It seems Emma Marsh of Kuraby, a suburb of Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, rushed her goldfish named “Conquer” to the Brisbane Bird and Exotic Pet Veterinary Services recently after he swallowed a pebble.

After checking our Conquer, doctors decided they couldn’t wait—they needed to get the little guy into emergency surgery, as they say—STAT.

He was anesthetized and prepped.

14192067_1256838067667742_3437899224190324438_n

“He is 13g and only 5cm long,” Veterinarian Emma McMillan told the Courier Mail. “The pebble was about 8 or 9mm long and was stuck lengthways across the side of his mouth, which is why he couldn’t spit it back out. He was making excessive mouth movements trying to dislodge it… if we did nothing he would have starved to death.”

Then they carefully went in to get the pebble.

14183831_1256838077667741_6350227955322464473_n

Slowly…

14222136_1256838161001066_804604826016425777_n

Carefully…

14192036_1256838154334400_6903420531596637458_n

Ta-da!

14211992_1256838197667729_5013416544152988754_n

Right, let’s not do THAT again, eh mate?

14184367_1256838221001060_7975459982812139341_n

Here’s our guy in the recovery tank; he went home the next day.

14102746_1256839864334229_8373319871747647056_n (1)

Images via Brisbane Bird and Exotics Veterinary Services/Facebook.